Monday, August 29, 2011

Sweet Dreams and the Sensory Child


For a child with sensory processing issues, even nighttime sleeping can be a struggle.
Their constant need for sensory input can follow them from the time they get up in the morning until the time they go to sleep at night.

That is, IF they sleep.

Eileen and JC Jackson are a true testiment of this.
Their son, Cody, was "classic" autism, nonverbal until the age of 6, woke up every night every couple of hours, and didn't sleep through the night until the age of 9.
Because of their experiences with their own son, they sought out ways to provide a necessary comfort for him which would allow the entire family to sleep well at night.

After trying every form of "sleep therapy" they could wrap their minds around, their OT suggested a weighted item to see if it would help.
But they weren't satisfied with what was offered out there: too expensive, poor workmanship, too small, unsafe materials or uncomfortable fabrics.

Finally, after some trial and error (as well as some flannel and rice), the company DreamCatcher Weighted Blankets was born.

DreamCatcher(tm) Weighted Blankets specializes in making custom weighted blankets for those who are comforted and benefited by them. Being specialized and focused on offering quality weighted items with each item handcrafted entirely at our sewing facility, with no outsourcing. Our highly skilled sewing staff are perfectionists and are further trained in crafting DreamCatcher designs. Each item is inspected multiple times during the sewing and weighting process. The items are inspected again during cleaning and packaging. This personal attention to details provides our clients with a superior product.

They are an amazing family with an amazing product!

Read below what they guarantee to each and every customer:

*Customer's choice to an endless selection of fabric type, color and patterns

*Inner layers of 100% cotton fabric for added durability

*Commercial grade, non-recycled, non- toxic, hypoallergenic, high
temperature heat rated polypropylene (PolyPro) weights

*Commercial grade threads

*A unique to DreamCatcher's strength stitch applications for stress less seaming and added durability

*A DreamCatcher DLS technique applied to heavier weighted blankets

*Evenly distributed weights "quilted" into multiple layers of fabric

*Smooth backing for added comfort

*A sewing application not found in any other weighted blanket design.

The concept behind these blankets is deep pressure touch stimulation.
People who have benefited from the deep pressure touch stimulation (DPTS) provided by a DreamCatcher tm Weighted Blanket include children, teens and adults affected by, but not limited to, those on the Autism Spectrum, ADHD, ADD, PDD-NOS, Sensory Integration Disorder , ASPD (Adult Sensory Processing Disorder, Bi-Polar, Anxiety and others with sensory issues.

The very short version of the theory behind how DreamCatcher weighted products
work, is the deep pressure touch stimulation (DPTS) supplied by the weight in
our products, is believed to release a chemical in the brain, which naturally
calms.

What is the chemical, you ask?

Serotonin.


Serotonin, is the neurotransmitter that studies show is released by deep
pressure touch stimulation. Massage and deep pressure releases both serotonin
and endorphins. The serotonin acts as a calming mediator for the body while the
endorphins act as a happy stimulator for the brain. Together they can bring
pleasurable feelings and general elevated moods in both your body and mind. It
calms you when feeling anxious.

As an added benefit, Serotonin converts
to Melatonin which is the hormone the body releases at night. Studies show that
Melatonin aids in giving the body a good night's sleep.
So the wonder folks over at DreamCatcher Weighted Blankets is offering one of you a blanket for FREE!
This is a retail value of $200.00!

(NOTE: Please check with your pediatrician or physician if a weighted blanket would be appropriate for you.)

Here's is what you need to do to enter:
*************************************************************************************
1. Post a comment on my Facebook page why you think this product would be beneficial to you or your child.

2. Go to DreamCatcher's Weighted Blankets Facebook page and "LIKE" them, too. Please leave them a message that I sent you.

3. Leave a message on this blog post as to why this product could benefit you or your child.

You may enter all 3 ways!
That's it!
Simple as that!

This contest will run from Monday, August 29, 2011 and will end on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 12:00 Noon (CST).
Winner will be chosen at random and contacted via email and announced on my Facebook page.
Contest valid in the United States only.
Sorry, but no PO Box entries will be allowed.
No anonymous entries.
You must have a valid email address.
If the first winner does not contact me within 48 hours, another winner will be chosen at random.

Thank you, DreamCatcher Weigthed Blankets for this wonderful opportunity and generous donation!

(Please see Disclaimer Tab at the top for info regarding this and any other giveaway on this site.)



post signature




15 comments:

  1. Amber Bowen BedordAugust 29, 2011 at 8:20 AM

    Wow! I did not know that my son's sleeping was related to his sensory issues. Why am I just hearing this?! LOL!! I am so excited that he may actually SLEEP!!!! I can't wait to see if I win this. I may cry! No- I will. Every parent needs sleep but so does the child. This is a win-win for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would REALLY love to win a Dreamcatcher blanket. I have 4yo twins who both could both really benefit from Weighted blankets ( their OT has recommended them). Aidan has SPD (and articulation issues) and could do with one to help calm him during the day (deep pressure is very helpful to him). Niamh has Apraxia, plus fine motor problems, poor visual perception and sensory issues - most noticeably proprioceptive problems. Niamh has a really hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep- we already use deep pressure techniques (firm hugs and a heavy regular comforter), but a good quality weighted blanket could make a HUGE difference to her. I'd love to win this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to win one of these for my 4 y/o w/ apraxia and SPD. She's grown to love her weighted vest and it helps her so much at school, and I know something like this would be amaingly helpful at home..especially at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a weighted blanket and it is a fantastic tool:) This is a great giveaway! Thanks so much for all you do. (please don't enter me.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really sounds like a WONDERFUL product. We have tried several weighted items and our son either refuses to wear the vest or benefits from the item for a short time and then gets defensive about using it. We have seen similar products, but have been hesitant to try. This would be a wonderful item to try. My son wakes up and has VERY tough mornings, I think it is because he doesn't get "good" sleep. I bet this would help!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would LOVE to have one of these for my son who suffers from sensory integration disorder and anxiety issues. He gets up MANY times a night and it has been a struggle for years. I haven't gotten him one yet because I haven't been able to afford one on top of his medical care. I would love to win one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg my son's therapist let us borrow her blanket to see how it would work and my son is finally sleeping! Sad part, she needs it back to let other kids use it! I have a younger son that has ASD and my child who needs this has SPD and it worked wonders, will be so sad when we have to give it back :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much for doing this giveaway, what an awesome product! i use deep pressure techniques with my son, who has spd, and it makes an incredible difference! i would love to have a weighted blanket for him. been looking at them but could just never afford one. thanks again for a chance to win one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to win this for my 3.5 year old son with anxiety, SPD and apraxia. We have just started using a weighted vest on him at school and it seems to be helping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for doing this.
    Sleep?
    What is that?
    My son is so restless in his sleep that I put him in the bed with me
    He is pddnos
    He's also on feeding tube
    Since he gets so restless
    I have to detangle his tubes every night
    Many times
    Thank you for this opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter has sensory issues and would love this blanket. She has a hard time getting to sleep and this blanket would be awesome!
    sadiebeery at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary Franzen CostelloAugust 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM

    I would love to try this for both my boys. My youngest, with DS needs sensory input. His brother is the only person I know who loves tight, dark spaces (I'm claustrophobic) and is also a moving sleeper. Would love to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I just saw this, one hour past the deadline. I've been wanting to get one for Shelby but money is tight right now. Beautiful blankets! Will bookmark these for when we're ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want to thank Lord Alika for the herbal HIV medicine he gave to me and my daughter, i was suffering from HIV when i gave birth to my daughter and that was how my daughter got the sickness indirect from me, but to God be the glory that i am heal with the herbal medicine that Lord Alika gave to me when i contacted him. i want to use this medium to tell everyone that the solution to our sickness has come, so i will like you to contact this great healer on his email address: lordalikaspelltemple@yahoo.co.uk with him all your pains will be gone, i am really happy today that i and my daughter are cured of HIV, we are now negative after the use of his medicine,my doctor confirm it. once more i say a big thank to you Lord Alika for healing hands upon my life and my daughter, i say may God continue to bless you abundantly and give you more power to keep helping those that want your help in their lives. email him now he is waiting to receive you. lordalikaspelltemple@yahoo.co.uk or http://lordalikaspelltemp8.wix.com/http call him +2348072718865

    Lord Alika CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS
    5. Love spell
    6. Money Spell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Months ago my husband told me it was over between us and he let me and our children without saying a word, i did all i could to stop him because his mind was made up. few months later my friend told me how Dr.Unity helped her with his spell,I love my husband so much that i would give up every thing for him, so i contacted Dr.Unity to also help me with his spell and he responded saying that he will help me with his spell that I should clam down and i will see result within 12 to 16 hours Today, i am so glad that everything happened just as Dr.Unity said, my husband will came back to me within 12 to 16 hours on his knees begging me to forgive him and I accepted him back into my life. Do you need help are you worried about your ex husband or your boyfriend left you for another,here is Dr.Unity he is a real and genuine spell caster contact him for help via email: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or call him on +2348072370762 .

      Delete