Friday, September 9, 2011

Holy Homework, Batman!

Be careful what you wish for....or ask for.

When I met with Kaitlyn's teacher on the second day of school, I specifically asked what kind of homework would be sent home with her.
I was told that homework would be sent home for the entire week and it would encompass most, if not all, of what she would be working on in school at that time.

And the only way that a parent can see what kind of work that is being done in class is in the homework that is sent home with the student.

And yes, I am that type of parent who requests homework.


I have a daughter with special needs who is behind her typical peers, for goodness sakes!

I can't expect the school to "fix" her.

I have to pull my end of the weight as well.

Hence, the request for homework.

Well, that homework folder came home this week!



HOLY HOMEWORK, BATMAN!

And this was much different than last year's homework which was sent home.
Last year...every Monday...I would receive a sheet of paper which listed what assignment was to be done on Monday, what was to be done on Tuesday, and so on.

This year...ahem...is a whole new ballgame, folks!
We are overflowing with homework!

*Letter handwriting pages.
*Specific handwriting pages focusing on specific lines and angles.
*Math homework.
*Reading homework.
*Speech sounds homework.
*Books to read.

I know I am missing many other topics, but I am still so shocked and amazed by what I saw.
Now, the rule of thumb for homework is typically 10 minutes per each grade:

10 minutes
x 2nd grade
------------
20 minutes per night
of homework

Now you know why I titled this post "Holy Homework, Batman!"
Yes, seeing this makes me even more excited about what this year will continue to offer and the leaps and bounds my girl will continue to make!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. I can't tell if you're happy about it or upset. It sounds like a lot of work for you, as her mom, but you welcome the challenge and realize the benefits that come with hard work. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I taught a K-2 Language Impaired classroom-I never stuck to the 20 minute rule for homework. I told parents that if their child was to succeed-they needed to work (a little) harder than others. I had daily homework that was the same (read your book, practice skills cards (taylored to each student), writing sheet, etc.) and then on top of that "real" homework-worksheets from that weeks lessons. My parents knew that if they needed to-they could skip parts of the daily repetitive work-because "life" happened and family time was just as important.
    The parents who bought into my homework program--saw great gains in their children-several mainstreamed by the end of a year.
    I am so glad you are working with her and see the benefits of hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a lot of progress this year - it sounds like she has a teacher with high expectations. And I like high expectations! Reach for the stars, Kate!

    ReplyDelete