Friday, June 22, 2012

Speaking Of Apraxia: A Book Review


Several weeks ago, I was asked to do a book review on the newest book on apraxia to hit the shelves.

Wait!  There really aren't any real decent books about apraxia on the shelves, are there?
Nope.

So when Leslie called me several years ago as she began her writing journey and what her vision for her book was, I was excited that a book such as this would be coming out very soon!

OK, let's cut to the chase and let me give you my star-rating now:  on a scale of 1-5 stars (with 5 stars being the highest grade) I give this new book.......4 stars!

It is good.
Very good.
It is full of all of the information that a parent with a child with apraxia needs to know.
It is overflowing with resources and graphs and charts and guidelines to help you understand apraxia and the child that is affected by it.
It is loaded with 16 Chapters of the nuts and bolts of apraxia.
It is over 450 pages long and comprised of everything that you can imagine on the neurologically-based condition.
It is the one resource that combines every doctors' office visit, speech session, Google search, or SLP presentation into one handy guide.

And quite honestly, the only reason why I gave it 4 out of 5 stars is that it simply didn't tell me something new that I didn't already know or haven't already read or wasn't already told about apraxia.
Maybe because I have been traveling this apraxia road for 7 years and I've done the gamut of Google searches and have sat in office after office after office and my other child has grown up essentially in a waiting room of an SLP.
Maybe because for over 7 years, apraxia has consumed my life.
And let's just clarify one thing:  I'm NOT saying that I know everything there is to know about apraxia.

I don't.

No one does.

But this book will make sure that you do know a whole lot about apraxia when you are done with it!

For a parent just starting out with a diagnosis....this book is a must have!
For the grandparent who doesn't understand CAS...this book is a must have!
For every single insurance company out there that refuses to pay for speech therapy for a child with CAS...this book is a must have!
For every therapy office waiting room...this book is a must have!

The book is written from the perspective of a Mom with all the emotion that comes from being a Mom to a child with a special need of some sort.
Throw in some quick-witted Mom humor and real-life persona examples and get a page turner for sure!

If you are interested in purchasing this book, I have found it on Amazon, Barnes and Noble,  and Woodbine House.

You can also find a page for the book on Facebook as well.

From one apraxia Mom to another...from one RN to another...let me just say:  great job, Leslie!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment