Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Perseveration at its Finest

Perseveration.
per·sev·er·a·tion (pr-sv-rshn)
noun
a. Uncontrollable repetition of a particular response, such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus, usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder.
b. The tendency to continue or repeat an act or activity after the cessation of the original stimulus.
 
Oh. My. Gosh.
 
But who is to blame here?  Me.
 
Yesterday, I was thinking out loud (big mistake!) and I told the kids that we were going to the movies later this week to see "FInding Nemo" in 3D.
 
Key words:  LATER THIS WEEK!
 
My son must have missed that portion of the sentence because it has been non-stop all morning today and all evening yesterday
 
"Are we going to the movie?"
"We are going to the movie!"
"We are going to the movie now!"
"After my nap, we are going to the movie!"
"Dad, we are going to the movies!!!"
 
My responses have been the following:
"Yes, we are going on THURSDAY to the movie."
"Today is Tuesday.  We are going on Thursday."
"Tuesday, Wednesday, then Thursday."
 
Bless his heart.  He nods his head in agreement and goes about his business for about, oh, 30 seconds.
Then it starts all over.
Perseveration at its finest.
 
I've explained.
I've drawn a picture.
I've made a calendar.
 
"Are we gong to the movie now?"
 
*sigh*
 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment