Friday, September 6, 2013

A Long Overdue Update.....

It's been quite some time since I have blogged about anything. 
Life has really gotten in the way...I am sure you all know the feeling. 
So let me try and give you the cliff-notes version of the last few months:

We did 6 weeks of ESY. 
While the boy loved it, it became a struggle for the girl and myself. 
I am not sure what when wrong and at what point things just started to collapse, but it wasn't the greatest of times for Kate. 
Many times she came out of school sobbing. 
Not just tears. 
Sobbing tears. 
I should've pulled her out of school and left it at that, but I was selfish and wanted those 3 hours to myself to decompress and clean my house and not have to think of homeschooling her for the summer. 
Bad Mom, I know. 

ESY ended and all was right in the world again. 

We chose to take a hiatus from speech therapy for the summer. 
Instead, we substituted a five week speech camp for both kids. 

Best. Decision. Ever. 

For three hours one day a week, they participated in a mixed-ages group working on social skills and articulation and anything else the clinic SLPs wanted to work on. 
Every week was a different "theme", so it kept their attention. 
They loved it. 
I loved it. 
Granted, our lovely United Healthcare insurance doesn't cover a penny of camp (or any of our speech therapy sessions) so this was an out-of-pocket expense. 

Thanks for nothing, UHC!

But in the end, it was worth it. 

We spent the last five weeks of summer enjoying summer. 
Picnics. 
Road trips. 
Lazy days at the pool. 
No school. 
No therapy. 
Sleeping in until 7:30am.....yes, that is "sleeping in" in our house. 
Staying up late and cuddling on the couch with my kids. 

It was a good summer. 
I made sure they had fun and remembered what it was like to be a kid and not a kid needing to run run run for therapy or school all the time. 

I think they appreciated it. 
I know I did. 

School started on August 22nd. 
More on that soon.....maybe tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment