Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I Can Sport An Amazing Albatross!

Now let me see a show of hands of how many of you read that story about a guy and a boat who killed that bird and then he had to wear the bird around his neck as a reminder of  the bad luck he now carries with him?

It's not one of those books that you have on your coffee table or the one that you read before you go to bed at night.

It's the one they made you read in high school, likely in one of those boring English Lit classes that you prayed for a "C" grade on the final just to pass so that you could graduate?

Anyone?  Anyone?

Does "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" sound familiar?

(Silence).

Please don't click that red "X" in the top right corner and stop reading. 
I do have a point to make here.

Well, I read that story umpteen years ago and (oh-my-gosh-I-can't-believe-I-am-admitting-this) I have never forgotten about it. 
Or that albatross.
The story wanted you to walk away with the analogy of the albatross as something that you have done or are connected with that keeps causing you problems and stops you from being successful.
 
My kids are my albatross.
 
Now wait...before y'all go crazy on me for saying that...hear me out.
\
My kids are my albatross.
My kids are my reminder.
My kids are something that I have done.
My kids are NOT preventing me from being successful.  
 
They are my success story.
 
This fall, I will have a 5th grade girl and a 1st grade boy.
(Did I just type that correctly?  I need to breathe for a moment now.)
They have made leaps and bounds in terms of achievement and progress.
Their speech and language issues have almost disappeared.
Yes, we have some residual issues that need fixin' up, but it's not something we can't handle.
We've had bigger hurdles to jump.
 
But when I look at them....I see where they were....and I see where they are now.
And when I reflect on those early days....those days of sitting in speech therapy clinics and all the money we invested and the fighting with insurance companies for approval and then the denials and the lack of progress and then the language bursts and then the struggles and then the victories....
 
....I see the albatross.
 

Because why would I want to forget the past when the past is part of who they are now and the beauty that has evolved.
And that is something I will wear around my neck any day of the week!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment